Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Razor sales news emphasizes need for new technology

Milton Moore, MD
The news of declining razor sales may have some in the shaving industry distressed, but I am not one of them. I see more than 125 men a week in my busy Houston dermatology practice and I can tell you the desire for a clean shaven face remains strong.

I understand the numbers from Euromonitor and I realize that overall, in terms of statistical analysis, things look grim for the big razor makers. Sure, sporting facial hair may be fashionable in some areas and of course let’s not forget the U.S. unemployment rate hovering at about 7%, contributing to the need to economize. But that doesn't tell the entire story.

In my practice, I see many men who need specialized products for their personal grooming. I see men of all races and ethnicities with straight and very curly hair who rely on certain types of products to achieve a close, problem-free shave for professional reasons and to feel good about themselves.

I believe there is and always will be a segment of our population that will purchase boutique personal care products and pay the price for them. But people shouldn't be paying premium prices for inferior technology. And that is what's happening in the mens shaving industry, an industry at a crossroads. New technology is sorely needed. 

I have addressed this issue in the past with uniquely formulated shaving solutions. Now, I have moved the mark for the entire industry by developing the only 9 blade razor in the world. I recently received a U.S. patent and a City of Houston proclamation for this innovative razor, which I call Eagle Wings. This is truly new technology. Not only does it feature 9 blades with two wings that pivot, the razor dispenses a heated patented shave gel, providing lubrication before the blades ever hit the skin.
Moore Unique Eagle Wings Razor


This is the type of new technology that many men are searching for. My initial research underscores this. I've spoken to many men about this new, innovative razor and they remark, "Okay, now we’re talking, 9 blades that last longer than a few days that provides a better, cleaner shave!  No cuts and irritation! I’ll take it!”

I believe savvy consumers demand and are willing to pay for this advancement in technology. Therefore, in my view, the razor market not only remains viable but is poised for growth, provided the technology keeps pace with what consumers are really looking for.


No comments:

Post a Comment